(b. 1494, Pontormo, d. 1557, Firenze)
View of the Capponi Chapelc. 1528
Cappella Capponi, Santa Felicità, Florence
The chapel against the entrance wall of the convent church of Santa Felicità was built by Brunelleschi for the Barbadori family at the begriming of the fifteenth century. Ludovico di Gino Capponi acquired the space in 1525 as a funerary chapel for himself and his male heirs. He commissioned Pontormo to decorate the chapel. The commission included a now lost fresco in the ceiling of God the Father, pendentive roundels of the four Evangelists (with assistance from Agnolo Bronzino), a stain-glass window by Guillaume de Marcillat, the Entombment altarpiece, and a fresco of the Annunciation.