PORTA, Antonio della
Tomb of Raoul de Lannoy1507-08
Church, Folleville (Somme)
Gothic and Italian elements are sharply juxtaposed in the tomb of Raoul de Lannoy and his wife in the church of Folleville. The tomb is of pure north Italian design, and is signed by Antonio della Porta, called Tamagnino, and his nephew Pace Gagini, who worked on the Certosa of Pavia and later set up a studio in Genoa. Lannoy was governor of that town during the years 1507-08, and it was no doubt then that he ordered the tomb. At his death in 1513, however, it had not been set up, and it was his widow and his son who built the chapel and gave the tomb its present setting, probably before 1524. The contrast between tomb and setting is remarkable. The former is purely classical; the latter consists of two rich Flamboyant ogee arches, above which the wall is carved in low relief with a pattern Italian in style, but entirely different from the work of the two Genoese sculptors. It was probably executed by a Frenchman trained in the workshop of Gaillon or Fecamp.
In this monument all three components of the art of Louis XII can be seen: pure Italian classicism, Flamboyant Gothic, and a local imitation of motives imported from south of the Alps.