(b. 1483, Urbino, d. 1520, Roma)
God the Father and the Virgin Mary (fragments of the Baronci Altarpiece)1500-01
Oil on wood, 112 x 75 cm (God), 51 x 41 cm (Virgin)
Museo Nazionale di Capodimonte, Naples
Raphael became a significant presence in Città di Castello in the first years of the sixteenth century. He produced three important altarpieces for different churches in the city. The first of these is the Coronation of St Nicholas of Tolentino painted for the church of Sant'Agostino. Damaged during an earthquake in the eighteenth century, the painting was removed from its original site and sold to Pope Pius VI, who had the panel cut into pieces, two of which are shown in the picture.