(b. 1483, Urbino, d. 1520, Roma)
The Canigiani Madonna1507
Oil on wood, 131 x 107 cm
Alte Pinakothek, Munich
The painting's name derives from the Florentine family who owned it before it passed into the Medici collection and then into Germany with the marriage of Anna Maria Lodovica de' Medici to the Palatine Elector.
The reproduction shows the painting before restoration. In 1982 the German conservator Hubert von Sonnenburg undertook a careful restoration of this picture and removed a distorting blue overpaint, dating from the 18th century, from the sky area which covered the putti on the upper left and right.