(b. 1486, Firenze, d. 1570, Venezia)
Palazzo Corner della Ca' Grande: Façade1533-56
Canal Grande, Venice
This palace lies on the site of the pre-existing Palazzo Malombra, destroyed by a fire in 1532. The reconstruction was assigned to Jacopo Sansovino. Work started in 1533 and ended after 1556, under the direction of Vincenzo Scamozzi.
The ashlar base, the volute corbels, the façade marked by a parade of classical features, the oval windows with cartouche cornices reveal a formal language of central Italy.
The palace, presently housing the office of the Prefecture, belonged to the Corner family until 1814.
View the ground plan of Palazzo Corner della Ca' Grande, Venice.