(b. 1490, Pieve di Cadore, d. 1576, Venezia)
Oil on canvas, 163 x 104 cm
Palazzo Ducale, Urbino
This painting was originally part of a processional banner for the Corpus Domini brotherhood in Urbino. Documents relating to payments made in 1542 and 1544 still exist. As early as 1546, the banner was split. Here, Titian is repeating the composition of the Polyptych of the Resurrection. The greater range of colours, however, is typical of his work shortly after 1540, even though both sections of the banner would have been produced with the assistance of his workshop.