TRAMELLO, Alessio
(b. ca. 1455, Borgonovo Val Tidone, d. ca. 1528, Piacenza)

Interior view

1499-1511
Photo
San Sisto, Piacenza

The church and an adjacent convent and hospital were founded in 874 by Queen Angilberga, wife of the Emperor Louis II. The monastery became wealthy due the granting of significant privileges and properties in northern Italy. Over the centuries, several orders of monks and nuns competed for control of this monastery until 1425, when it was assigned to the Benedictine order of Monte Cassino. In 1499, they commissioned the present church from Alessio Tramello, which was consecrated in 1511.