(b. 1511, Arezzo, d. 1574, Firenze)
Oil on copper, 38 x 28 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence
This painting was commissioned with other small pieces by Prince Francesco de' Medici around 1567-68. The composition is intended to symbolize the close relationship between Invention - the outcome of intelligence translated into design - and Art in its technical and practical sense.