WILSON, Richard
(b. 1714, Penegoes, d. 1782, Colommendy)

View of Syon House across the Thames near Kew Gardens

c. 1760
Oil on canvas, 104 x 139 cm
Neue Pinakothek, Munich

Syon House was formerly a convent, founded by Henry V. in 1414, for sixty virgins of the order of St Bridget of Zion, thirteen priests, four deacons, and eight lay-brothers; each sex to live in separate convents, and not to be allowed to come out, except by the Pope's special licence.