(b. 1841, Venezia, d. 1917, Paris)
Palazzo Pretorio in Florence1865
Oil on canvas, 81 x 64 cm
Museo d'Arte Moderna, Ca' Pesaro, Venice
Exhibited for the first time in 1865 in the rooms of the Società Veneta Promotrice, the painting reveals the painter's adherence to the Romantic historicist spirit that informed the works of many Italian artists of the time. The choice of subjects from the medieval tradition of the communes combines here with a modulation of lighting that is strongly influenced by the Tuscan Macchiaioli artists.