ANDREOLI, Giorgio
(b. ca. 1465, Intra, d. 1553, Gubbio)

Dish

1525
Tin-glazed earthenware, diameter 45 cm
Wallace Collection, London

The dish is signed and dated on the reverse. The decoration is taken from three engravings, one after Raphael.

Born near Lake Maggiore in the late 1470s, Giorgio di Pietro Andreoli moved to Gubbio in central Italy around 1490, where he founded and directed his own maiolica workshop. Because of his great skill in the difficult luster technique, Andreoli was frequently hired to embellish the wares of other workshops, an unusual practice. After adorning these works of other masters, he often signed the pieces himself. So famous did he become that the Duke of Urbino granted him citizenship and exempted him from paying taxes and duties.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.