The commission to build the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone on Piazza Navona was first given by Pope Innocent X to Girolamo Rainaldi and his son Carlo in 1652. Due to the vigorous criticism of their plan, in 1653 Innocent replaced the Rainaldis with Borromini whose main achievement was the interior but he also made decisive changes to the whole structure. The commission was withdrawn before completion after disagreements with the pope. Subsequently Carlo Rainaldi made only minimal alterations to the exterior.
View the ground plan and section of Sant'Agnese in Agone, Rome.