BORROMINI, Francesco
(b. 1599, Bissone, d. 1667, Roma)

Exterior view

1653
Photo
Sant'Andrea delle Fratte, Rome

Francesco Borromini took over the construction of the church in 1653. He is responsible of the apse, the tambour of the cupola and the square campanile with four orders. After his death, the construction was continued by Mattia De Rossi. The late Renaissance-style façade, with two orders divided by pilasters, was completed in 1826.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.