BOULLOGNE, French family of painters
The family worked mainly in and around Paris for the King, private patrons and religious establishments from the mid-17th century into the early 18th. Louis Boullogne the Elder (1609-1674) was the first important member of the family, and he taught both his sons Bon Boullogne (1649-1717)and Louis Boullogne the Younger (1654-1733) and his daughters Geneviève Boullogne (1645-1708) and Madeleine Boullogne (1646-1710). His daughters, who had been accepted (reçu) as members of the Académie Royale (7 Dec 1659) as still-life painters, were sometimes characterized as 'flower painters', and they, like their brothers, worked at the château at Versailles. Geneviève married the sculptor Clérion.