BULLANT, Jean
(b. ca. 1515, Amiens, d. 1578, Écouen)

Exterior view

c. 1560
Photo
Château, Écouen (Val-d'Oise)

By far the most original part of Bullant's work at Écouen is the pavilion added to the court side of the south wing. The essential novelty here is the use of the colossal Order instead of the two superimposed Orders of the other pavilions. This appears to be the earliest surviving example of its use in France. The use of the colossal Order had been authorized in Italy by Michelangelo in the Capitol palaces. At Écouen the shape enclosed by the Order is nearly square and the vertical lines dominate almost unchallenged. It was perhaps of this strong vertical tendency that the colossal Order soon became popular in France, whereas in Italy it was little used, except by Palladio, till the time of Bernini.

The photo shows the pavilion added to the south wing of the Château d'Écouen, viewed from the interior courtyard. In the niches between the Corinthian columns are the copies of Michelangelo's Slaves, the originals of which are in the Musée du Louvre, Paris.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.