COSSA, Francesco del
(b. ca. 1435, Ferrara, d. ca. 1477, Bologna)

Griffoni Polyptych: St Lucy

1473
Oil on panel, 79 x 56 cm
National Gallery of Art, Washington

This painting together with its counterpart representing St Florian belonged to the Griffoni Polyptych and were probably located on the upper part of the side panels.

A plant form with eyes held by the saint refers to the medieval legend that Saint Lucy, patron saint of eyesight, sacrificed her eyes for her Christian faith.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.