CUYP, Dutch family of artists
Gerrit Gerritsz. (c. 1565–1644), whose father (d. 1605) was probably an artist, was a glass painter from Venlo who moved to Dordrecht around 1585. He married and joined the Guild of St Luke there that same year, serving as the Guild's deacon in 1607 and 1608. He designed and executed numerous stained-glass windows in Dordrecht and other towns until 1639, but only his cartoon for a window in St Janskerk, Gouda, survives. His eldest son, Abraham Gerritsz. (1588–c. 1647), was also a glass painter; his second son, Jacob Gerritsz., was a painter. Gerrit Gerritsz. married a second time in 1602; children from this marriage included the artists Gerrit Gerritsz. the Younger (1603–51), also a glass painter, and the painter Benjamin Gerritsz. By 1617 Jacob Gerritsz. had adopted the surname Cuyp, and the rest of the family seems eventually to have followed this practice. Aelbert Cuyp, the most important artist in the family, was the only child of Jacob Gerritsz. Cuyp.