DAUTHE, Johann Carl Friedrich
(b. 1746, Leipzig, d. 1816, Bad Flinsberg)

Interior view

1783-97
Photo
St. Nicolai church, Leipzig

An experiment was ventured by Leipzig's main architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe. during the rebuilding of the Late Gothic church St. Nicolai. While the outer walls of the parish church was left in their medieval condition, Dauthe transformed the interior into veritable blooming garden, with piers converted into palm trees and late Gothic reticulated vaulting transformed into palm leaves. The architect here tries to establish a combination of Gothic lightness and brightness with the grandeur of classical grammar by articulating the side walls and elongated choir with lesenes.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.