(b. 1627, Ypres, d. 1679, Venezia)

Altar of the Crucifixion

Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, Venice

The altar, designed by Baldassare Longhena, and executed by De Corte, was built by order of Father Agostino Maffei from the nearby friary in 1672. The angels on the tympanum support the image of the sudarium of St Veronica, while other angels between the two marble columns are on either side of the cross, and others kneel in adoration.

The wooden statue of Our Lady of Sorrow at the foot of the cross was once in the Chapel of Mourning in the cloister of the Holy Trinity.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.