DUCHÉ DE VANCY, Gaspard
(1756-1788)

The Entrance to the Blossac Park in Poitiers

c. 1780
Watercolour, 360 x 560 mm
Bibliothèque Municipal, Poitiers

In the later part of the 18th century, in reaction to vestiges of the earlier order, fortress walls were replaced by covered alleys, terraces, and urban promenades, as seen in the cities of Bordeaux, Périgueux, and Poitiers. In the latter the promenade is still named after Blossac, the administrator who promoted the project.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.