FOGGINI, Giambattista
(b. 1652, Firenze, d. 1725, Firenze)

Decoration of the Feroni Chapel

1692
Marble
Santissima Annunziata, Florence

The Feroni Chapel in Santissima Annunziata was inaugurated in 1693. It is an invention by Foggini, overloaded at the patron's wishes. The abundance of reliefs and marble sculptures and the white and gilded stuccoes of the dome are new elements in Florence previewing later Rococo decorations. Eight artists worked on the decoration under the guidance of Foggini.

The picture shows the works of three of the eight artists: St Francis by Giovanni Camillo Cateni (1666-1733), Fidelity (with the dog) by Anton Francesco Andreozzi (1663-1731), Diligence by Isidoro Franchi (died 1719), and the bronze portrait medallion by Massimiliano Soldani Benzi (1656-1740). The other artists were the sculptors Giuseppe Piamontini (1664-1742) and Carlo Marcellini (1644-1713), the painter Johann Karl Loth (1632-1698), and an unknown goldsmith working from a design by Foggini.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.