GOSSART, Jan
(b. ca. 1478, Maubeuge, d. 1532, Middelburg)

The Malvagna Triptych

1513-15
Oil on panel, 46 x 35 cm (centre panel), 45 x 18 cm (each wing)
Galleria Regionale della Sicilia, Palermo

The interior of the altarpiece represents the Virgin and Child with Musical Angels (centre) and Sts Catherine and Dorothy (side wings). On the exterior, when the wings are closed, Adam and Eve are depicted.

In its original frame, this small house altar is the artist's only surviving intact triptych. It was already documented in the 1600s in Malvagna, Sicily, but its origin is not known. Recent technical examinations showed that the figures and landscape on the exterior wings were not executed by the same hand. It is assumed that the landscape was painted by Gerard David. The collaboration between Gossart and David also extended to the figures on the interior of the altarpiece.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.