GUCCI, Santi
(b. ca. 1530, Firenze, d. ca. 1600, Mirów Castle)

Aerial view

1590s
Photo
Castle, Baranów Sandomierski

The first castle, was built in the fifteenth century. Around 1569, it was pulled down by one of the subsequent owners who erected a Renaissance defensive court, now embedded in the west wing of the complex, which has survived to our times. The extension of the manor took place in the years 1591-1606 according to the design of Santi Gucci.

The oldest, medieval castle had the form of a stone residential and defence tower. The Renaissance fortified manor was built on a rectangular plan and had two or four alcove towers located in the corners. During the reconstruction started at the end of the 16th century, northern and eastern wings were added to the existing castle, closing the courtyard with a wall and an avant-corps from the south. The eastern wing was supplemented with corner towers for regularity, and the interior was surrounded by cloisters. The outer bailey was also reinforced with the now defunct curtain wall.

View the ground plan of the castle.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.