HALSBACH, Jörg von
(d. 1488, München)

Exterior view

1468-88
Photo
Frauenkirche, Munich

Munich, together with Ingolstadt, Landshut, and Straubing, was one of the four courts of the Wittelsbach dynasty. Large hall churches were built in all four towns from the end of the 14th century, particularly during the 15th century. The last of these churches is the Frauenkirche in Munich, the largest church building of its day anywhere in Europe, and one of the most advanced in style.

There is something bunker-like about the closed exterior of the building: there are no rows of pointed pinnacles on the towers and nothing diverts attention from the compact main body of the building. The design is compact, but the absence of formal richness does not lead to aesthetic impoverishment. The body of the church displays great simplicity because there are no transepts and it is built as a wide hall structure, with chapels the same height as the nave arranged all around the nave. The onion domes erected only in 1524-25, although probably designed considerably earlier, are undoubtedly intended as a reference to what was believed to be King Salomon's Temple in Jerusalem (in reality the Islamic Dome of the Rock).

The picture shows a view from southeast.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.