ISAIA DA PISA
(active 1447-1464 in Rome)

Reliquary Tabernacle of the Head of St Andrew

c. 1463
Marble
Grotte Vaticane, Rome

Pius II commissioned Paolo Romano and Isaia da Pisa to make a tabernacle for St Andrew's head. The reliquary tabernacle was destroyed when the new St Peter's was built, leaving only remnants of its original sculpture. This relief is from the upper faces of the tabernacle.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.