Decoration of the chapel in Castello di San Giorgio, Mantua (1460-64)
by Andrea MANTEGNA

Mantegna's first important commission from Ludovico Gonzaga was the decoration of the chapel in Castello di San Giorgio, executed in the first half of the 1460s. It is unfortunately impossible to reconstruct the whole of Mantegna's original intentions there with any confidence, although some panels almost certainly traceable to the chapel still survive. They include three paintings in the Uffizi: The Ascension of Christ, The Circumcision and The Adoration of the Magi. Today they are mounted as a triptych in the Uffizi with The Adoration of the Magi in the centre. They were given this format in 1827, but the inconsistencies in both composition and iconography indicate that these are individual works rather than parts of a uniformly planned altarpiece. Nevertheless, they were created for the same chapel.

Preview Picture Data Info
The Adoration of the Magi
1460-64
Tempera on wood, 76 x 77 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Adoration of the Magi
1460-64
Tempera on wood, 76 x 77 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Adoration of the Magi (detail)
1460-64
Tempera on wood
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Adoration of the Magi (detail)
1460-64
Tempera on wood
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Adoration of the Magi (detail)
1460-64
Tempera on wood
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Ascension of Christ
1460-64
Tempera on wood, 86 x 42 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Circumcision
1460-64
Tempera on wood, 86 x 42 cm
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence


The Circumcision (detail)
1460-64
Tempera on wood
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence



Paintings by Andrea Mantegna
Paintings before 1460
Ovetari Chapel | San Luca Polyptych | San Zeno Polyptych
1460s | 1470s-80s | 1490s | 1500-06
Castello di San Giorgio | Camera degli Sposi | Triumphs of Caesar
Graphics | Sculptures



© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.