MASTER of the Castello Nativity
(active 1445-1475 in Florence)

The Nativity

c. 1450
Tempera and gold on panel, 22 x 66 cm
National Gallery, London

The three panels depicting Sts Justus and Clement Praying for Deliverance from the Vandals (in Philadelphia), the Nativity (in London) and Sts Justus and Clement Multiplying the Grain of Volterra (in Philadelphia) come from an altarpiece once in the small parish church of Santi Giusto e Clemente in Faltugnano in the hills north of Prato, and now in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Prato. They formed the predella of the altarpiece.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.