UNKNOWN MASTER, German
(active 1480-1520 in Cologne)

St Francis Altarpiece (central panel)

1500-05
Oak, 132,5 x 163 cm
Wallraf-Richartz-Museum, Cologne

The central panel shows St Francis receiving the stigmata, and also other scenes from his legend. On the left wing are Sts John Capistran and Bonaventura; on the right wing Sts Louis of Toulouse and Bernard of Siena (not illustrated). On the exteriors are St Francis and five Moroccan martyrs of the Order (not illustrated). This altarpiece is an important example of the iconography of St Francis and of Franciscan propaganda.

The altarpiece was executed by two masters referred to as the Master of St Severin and the Master of the Ursula Legend.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.