UNKNOWN MASTER, German
(active c. 1490 in Algäu region)

House Altarpiece (closed)

c. 1490
Oil and gold on linden panel, metal fixtures
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

When the altarpiece is closed, St Ursula is seen on the left and St Dorothy on the right, with their respective attributes.

The commissioner of the altarpiece was a woman, indicated by the absence of male saints and by the unorthodox placement of the female figure to the propeer right of the holy group in the central shrine rather than the male figure, presumably her husband.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.