UNKNOWN MASTER, German
(active 1510s in Nuremberg)

House Altarpiece (open)

1510-15
Oil and gold on linden and pine, 66 x 65 cm
Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg

This private devotional shrine replicates in miniature the soaring Gothic carved altarpiece that especially flourished across southern Germany and the Tirol in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century.

In the present house altarpiece, the central shrine represents the Crucifixion, and St Barbara and St Apollonia are seen on the left and right wings, respectively.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.