UNKNOWN MASTER, Hungarian
(active 1480s)

Coffin of Christ

c. 1480
Painted wood, 226 x 100 x 325 cm
Christian Museum, Esztergom

The coffin comes from Garamszentbenedek. The decorated coffin, mounted on four wheels, was used at Easter ceremonies. Above the coffin a baldachin was erected with the standing figures of the 12 Apostles. (Presently only 10 are original.) The sides of the coffin is decorated by reliefs made after engravings by Martin Schongauer.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.