MICHELOZZO DI BARTOLOMEO
(b. 1396, Firenze, d. 1472, Firenze)

Palazzo Medici Riccardi: Courtyard

1445-60
Photo
Via Camillo Cavour, Florence

The courtyard was started by Michelozzo in the 15th century and later added to by Vasari: the columns were covered with sumptuous gilt stucco, the vaults were frescoed with grotesques, and the walls were decorated with views of the most important cities of the Austrian Empire. In the centre is Andrea del Verrocchio's fountain.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.