MICHELOZZO DI BARTOLOMEO
(b. 1396, Firenze, d. 1472, Firenze)

Monument to Bartolomeo Aragazzi: An Adoring Angel

1427-37
Marble, height 96 cm
Victoria and Albert Museum, London

This and the companion figure, formed part of the monument of Bartolomeo Aragazzi (c. 1385-1429), poet, humanist and secretary to Pope Martin V, in the Pieve at Montepulciano. When the church was demolished in 1617, the monument was disassembled and never reconstructed. The other portions which have survived are now preserved in the Cathedral at Montepulciano. The monument was commissioned by Aragazzi from the joint studio of Donatello and Michelozzo in or shortly before 1427 and was completed in 1437. All of the surviving sculptures from the tomb are by Michelozzo.

The two Angels may have been set above the effigy of Aragazzi, flanking a statue variously identified as the Risen Christ and St Bartholomew, or beside a Virgin and Child in the lunette. Insufficient evidence survives to allow an accurate reconstruction of the tomb design.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.