(b. ca. 1375, Firenze, d. 1421, Firenze)

St Eligius

Orsanmichele, Florence

St Eligius by Nanni di Banco was placed on the west wall of Orsanmichele between St Matthew and St Stephenby Lorenzo Ghiberti, probably after Nanni's death, around 1422. The niche is composed of black and white stones, the internal panels present images of pincers, symbols of the farriers' guild. The guild coats of arms on the base of the plinth present shields with inlays of pincers and acanthus leaves that had to be completed with small gold and glass studs, placed by means of a deep drill. Abundant traces of paint surround white rosettes inlaid in the vaults of the ceiling.

St Eligius of Noyon (588-660 AD) is the patron saint of goldsmiths, other metalworkers, and coin collectors.

The picture shows the copy of the statue on the exterior of Orsanmichele.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.