PIERO DELLA FRANCESCA
(b. 1416, Borgo San Sepolcro, d. 1492, Borgo San Sepolcro)

7b. Recognition of the True Cross (detail)

1452-66
Fresco
San Francesco, Arezzo

The succession of buildings on the right-hand edge of the composition follows a road that leads to a church with a typical bell tower and a high, rounded dome ending in a lantern. This could be a reference to the artist's native Sansepolcro.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.