RAINALDI, Carlo
(b. 1611, Roma, d. 1691, Roma)

Santa Maria in Campitelli: Interior

1659-67
Photo
Piazza di Campitelli, Rome

The interior of the church was designed to contain the icon of the Virgin Mary dated to the eleventh century. The main altar of 1667, was designed by Rainaldi, and completed by Antonio de Rossi, Ferrata and Giovanni Paolo Schor. It enshrines the icon of Our Lady.

The ground plan of the church contains a number of interesting features. The longitudinal nave, to which the domed sanctuary is attached, opens in the centre into large chapels placed between smaller chapels. The chapels are given prominence by virtue of their decoration with free-standing columns and by the gilded decoration of the arches. By contrast, the nave is uniformly white and has only pilasters.

View the ground plan of Santa Maria in Campitelli, Rome.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.