RAINALDI, Carlo
(b. 1611, Roma, d. 1691, Roma)

Sant'Agnese in Agone

1652-72
Photo
Piazza Navona, Rome

The church was intended to be a family chapel annexed to the adjacent Palazzo Pamphili. The first designs were made by Girolamo Rainaldi and his son Carlo Rainaldi. In 1653, the Rainaldis were replaced by Francesco Borromini, but in 1657 Borromini resigned and Carlo Rainaldi was reappointed. In 1666 Gian Lorenzo Bernini took over the construction and the edifice was completed in 1672.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.