RING, tom, German family of painters and designers
Three generations of the family lived on the Honekamp (now Krummer Timpen) in Münster, Westphalia. The first known painter in the family, Ludger tom Ring the Elder, and his eldest son, Hermann tom Ring (1521-1597), were highly esteemed in Münster for their versatility, not only painting panels and murals but also designing prints for books and woodcuts and even, to judge from compasses in their portraits, working as architects. Hermann's younger brother Ludger tom Ring the Younger distinguished himself painting portraits and still-lifes, settling in Brunswick. Hermann's two sons Nikolaus tom Ring (1564-1622) and Johann tom Ring (1571-1604) painted unremarkable religious works around Münster, influenced by Hendrick Goltzius and Hans von Aachen. The family used the figure of Christ crucified in their coat of arms.