Panels from the Griffoni Polyptych (1473)
by Ercole de' ROBERTI

The Griffoni Polyptych was executed for honouring St Vincent Ferrer whose cult had begun after his canonization in 1458. The altarpiece was executed for the Griffoni Chapel of the San Petronio in Bologna.

The reconstruction of the polyptych, dismembered in the 18th century, is not unambiguous. It seems certain that the central panel was the painting of St Vincent Ferrer while on his sides were St Peter and St John the Baptist. Paintings of St Lucy and St John the Baptist were probably located on the upper part of the sides while a Crucifixion tondo was in the upper central position. The main panels were executed by Francesco del Cossa, while the predella (and some small size paintings) were painted by Roberti.



Preview Picture Data Info
Griffoni Polyptych: Predella (left view)
1473
Tempera on panel, 28 x 214 cm (entire predella)
Pinacoteca, Vatican


Griffoni Polyptych: Predella (detail)
1472-73
Tempera on panel, height of detail 28 cm
Pinacoteca, Vatican


Griffoni Polyptych: Predella (detail)
1473
Tempera on panel, height of detail 28 cm
Pinacoteca, Vatican


Griffoni Polyptych: Predella (right view)
1473
Tempera on panel, 28 x 214 cm (entire predella)
Pinacoteca, Vatican


Griffoni Polyptych: Predella (detail)
1473
Tempera on panel, height of detail 28 cm
Pinacoteca, Vatican


Griffoni Polyptych: St Catherine of Alexandria
1470-73
Panel, 26 x 9 cm
Collezione Vittorio Cini, Venice


Griffoni Polyptych: St Jerome
1470-73
Panel, 26 x 9 cm
Collezione Vittorio Cini, Venice


Griffoni Polyptych: St George
1470-73
Panel, 26 x 9 cm
Collezione Vittorio Cini, Venice


Griffoni Polyptych: St Apollonia
1470-73
Panel, 26 x 11 cm
Musée du Louvre, Paris


Griffoni Polyptych: St Michael
1470-73
Panel, 26 x 11 cm
Musée du Louvre, Paris





© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.