ROSSI, Karl Ivanovich
(b. 1775, Napoli, d. 1849, St. Petersburg)

Exterior view

1828-32
Photo
Alexandrinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg

Starting from the Nevsky Prospekt, the theatre complex includes a square, the buildings along Rossi Street, and the Alexandrinsky Theatre. The focus of this urban ensemble is the theatre itself, which opened in August 1832 and soon established itself as one of the city's foremost dramatic venues. The façade is decorated by a loggia of Corinthian columns, while niches at the sides house statues of the Muses Terpsichore and Melpomene. The loggia is crowned by an attic with the quadriga of Apollo. For the sculptural ornamentation Rossi was able to rely on Stepan Pimenov (1784-1833), Vasily Demut-Malinovsky (1779-1846) and Paolo Triscori. The main façade is in stark contrast to the strict Doric colonnades of the symmetrically planned buildings of the Rossi Street, which are uniform in appearance.

The photo shows the main façade on the Nevsky Prospekt.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.