(b. 1779, London, d. 1852, London)

General view

O'Donovan Rossa Bridge, Dublin

The O'Donovan Rossa Bridge is a road bridge spanning the River Liffey in Dublin. Replacing a short lived wooden structure, the original masonry bridge on this site was built in 1684 as a five-span simple arch bridge, and named Ormonde Bridge. In December 1802 this bridge was swept away during a severe storm.

In 1813 construction started on a replacement bridge — the current structure — a little further west to the designs of James Savage and was opened in 1816. It consists of three elliptical arch spans in granite, with sculptured heads on the keystones. The heads represent Plenty, the Liffey, and Industry on one side, with Commerce, Hibernia and Peace on the other.

The photo shows the O'Donovan Rossa Bridge (formerly Richmond Bridge). Behind the bridge the Four Courts, Ireland's main courts building can be seen.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.