SQUARCIONE, Francesco
(b. 1397, Padova, d. 1468, Padova)

De Lazara Altarpiece

1449-52
Panel, 175 x 220 cm
Museo Civico, Padua

This polyptych is one of the very few surviving work that is universally considered to be by Squarcione. In a frame designed in a sophisticated late Gothic style are four side saints conceived like coloured sculpture on marble bases, unrelated of the conception of the central image. The focus of devotion, St Jerome, is in a different scale and has a different background than the surrounding saints. Squarcione's awareness of Flemish painting is particularly evident in the central section of the altarpiece.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.