TIEPOLO, Giovanni Battista
(b. 1696, Venezia, d. 1770, Madrid)

View of the Room of the Nuptial Allegory

1757
Fresco
Ca' Rezzonico, Venice

In 1667 Filippo Bon commissioned the construction of his new residence from Baldassare Longhena on the site of several demolished building. At the death of Longhena in 1682 the palace was incomplete. The building was sold to the Rezzonico family who entrusted the construction to Giorgio Massari. The building was completed in 1756 with the decoration of the façade, the stairway from the canal and the area to the rear with the airy large staircase leading to the huge ballroom.

The palace contains significant fresco series. Giovanni Battista Crosato, working with the Lombard quadraturist Pietro Visconti, created the decoration for the grand ballroom c. 1753-56. In 1757, three different artists, Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Jacopo Guarana, and Gaspare Diziani, were called upon to paint the ceilings of the four rooms on the first piano nobile overlooking the Rio di San Barbaba. Tiepolo's frescoes appear on the ceilings of the first and last rooms in this series of spaces, the Room of the Nuptial Allegory and the Room of the Throne, respectively.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.