VERESHCHAGIN, Petr Petrovich
(b. 1836, Perm, d. 1886, St. Petersburg)

St. Olav's Church, Tallinn

1864
Oil on canvas, 27 x 36 cm
Private collection

This painting depicts the St. Olav's Church in Tallinn, Estonia. The church is believed to have been built in the 12th century and to have been the centre for old Tallinn's Scandinavian community before Denmark conquered Tallinn in 1219. Its dedication relates to King Olaf II of Norway (995-1030). it was extensively rebuilt during the 14th century. The tower has been hit by lightning around ten times, and the whole church has burned down three times throughout its known existence.

The picture, which positions the viewer in a hamlet just outside the city gates, is dotted with figures illustrative of village life, and overshadowed by the imposing silhouette of St. Olav's which dominates the town around it.

The painting is signed twice in Cyrillic and dated lower right.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.