MOSAIC ARTIST, Italian
(active 1150s in Palermo)

Vaulting (detail)

1150s
Mosaic
Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, Palermo

The church of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio in Palermo, also known as the Martorana, was commissioned in 1143 by George of Antioch, the Greek admiral and principal minister of King Roger II of Sicily. It was dedicated to the Greek rite, and was decorated with mosaics.

The cupola features a full-figure Christ enthroned with angels bowing to him in the register below. These are followed in the vaults beneath the tambour by scenes from the life of the Virgin, the Nativity and the Dormition, as well as apostle figures.

The picture shows the Dormition on the vaulting.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil KrÚn and Daniel Marx.