(active around 800 in Müstair)

Exterior view

c. 800
Benedictine monastery, Müstair

The church of the Benedictine monastery of St John was built around 800 from a foundation of Charlemagne. With its ceiling, originally flat and vaulted only in the late Gothic period, the church is impressive for its eastern triapsal termination. Each apse is framed with high blind arches, the middle one being somewhat larger and thus emphasized. Churches with three apses were a feature above all of the Alpine region, such as Müstair in Graubünden.

The photo shows the exterior from the east. The small Chapel of the Holy Cross and the main church with three apses are Carolingian. The bell tower was erected in 1530 while the white Planta Tower dates from 960 - the swallowtail merlons were added later.

© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.