ARCHITECT, Italian
(active 9th century in Emilia)

Interior view

9th century
Photo
Pomposa Abbey, Codigoro near Ferrara

Pomposa Abbey, dedicated to St Mary, is a Benedictine monastery in Codigoro near Ferrara, Italy. South of Venice, by the mouth of the Po, Benedictine monks constructed a settlement at Pomposa between the ninth and eleventh centuries. They built for themselves a monastic complex as a command centre for managing extensive agricultural holdings, for studying the abbey's rich library of antique and Christian texts, and for the musical composition and chanting of palms, greatly aided by the codification of musical notation by Pomposa's own Guido d'Arezzo in the early eleventh century.

The prominent role of the monastery in the regional economy and culture is clearly broadcast in its architectural forms, with its richly decorated porch and tall, multi-level Lombard campanile. The church is an example of a triple-nave Ravennan basilica with arcaded aisles and carpentry rafters. It received an extensive fresco decoration in 1351 by Vitale da Bologna and his workshop.

The photo shows the nave towards east.

View the ground plan of the Pomposa monastery complex.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.