ARCHITECT, French
(active in the 11th century in Burgundy)

Cloister

after 1020
Photo
Abbey Church Saint-Philibert, Tournus (Saône-et-Loire)

Barely older than the nave is the surviving north wing of the cloisters, whose wide arcades are articulated by strong semi-circular responds. Abbot Ardain was laid to rest here in 1156. He commissioned the building of the ground floor of the narthex and the nave, and was later canonized.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.