ARCHITECT, French
(active 1000-1046 in Brabant)

Interior view

1000-46
Photo
Sainte-Gertrude-et-Saint-Pierre, Nivelles (Walloon Brabant)

The building of this church began in 1000. It was constructed to replace a church destroyed by fire. The double-ended church was consecrated in 1046 in the presence of Emperor Henry III. It was divided into two parts by strainer arches in the high and spacious space. The two-storey colonnaded nave with its flat ceiling is without ornamentation.

The photo shows the nave wall.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.