ARCHITECT, French
(active 2nd half of 11th century in Burgundy)

Interior view

1050-1100
Photo
Notre-Dame, Paray-le-Mondial (Saône-et-Loire)

The former monastery church of Notre-Dame at Paray-le-Mondial is a miniature version of the abbey church at Cluny (Cluny III). The monastery was founded in 973 and a small church was consecrated here by Abbot Odilo in 1004, possibly the same type as Cluny II. In 1090 Abbot Hugo began the existing building, a nave and two aisles with three bays, a projecting transept with apses, a square crossing with a dome, forebay and ambulatory with radiating chapels.

The photo shows the nave and choir.

View the ground plan of Notre-Dame, Paray-le-Mondial.




© Web Gallery of Art, created by Emil Krén and Daniel Marx.